This is something i wanted to do from a very long time. I finally used my acer netbook as a wifi router and connected my mobile phone and laptop to it.
The procedure was really simple.
The equipment i used :
- My netbook running Microsoft window XP ( My friends at FOSS please do not kill me for this 🙂 )
- A internet connection
Here is what i did on my windows machine :
- Open network manager.
- Right click on your wired connection ( Local Area Connection in my case ).
- Select the advanced tab on the dialog box that pops up.
- And tick the option which says ” Allow other network users to connect through this …. “
- Click ok and you have setup your local area connection to be shared by other network users.
- Right click on wireless network connection and select the “Wire Networks” tab from the dialog box that pops up.
- Click on the Add button below.
- Configure the connection as follows :
Network Authentication : Open.
Data Encryption : Disabled.
Then click ok.
- Next click on advanced and select computer – to – computer networks only.
- Click ok and your done setting up your wifi router.
- Right click on the wireless network icon in your task bar and select “View available wireless networks”
- Select the the wireless network you have just now created.
- Connect your other wireless devices to your virtual router ( because its not really a router it just acts as one )
I have tested this with my CQ61 laptop runing Ubuntu 10.04 and my mobile phone. It works really great.
However a few things you must keep in mind are :
- The network connection is not encrypted hence do not run sensitive applications on it.
- This is an open ad hoc network so anybody can use this as it is not password protected. So if you have internet connection with limited data transfer then i suggest you disable this when your not using it.
Have fun !!